Sunday, April 21, 2013

Chapter 20

Jenny jumped as the phone rang, and Charlie cursed.   He glared at his phone furiously, and she watched his fingers tighten. 

Charlie furiously resisted the urge to throw the phone.  He flipped it open "What?" , storming off to a private area, listening to the stream of dialogue and excuses.  He felt the back of his neck getting tighter and tighter as the call continued, and began pacing. 

Jenny gaped at Paul, clearly not her Charlie anymore, as he paced like a caged tiger, gesturing with his free hand, spitting words into the phone.  He glanced up at her and she waved, making a silly face. 

"Inappropriate", she was always being told, her whole life.  "You're being inappropriate"  Charlie's face tightened for a moment and he laughed silently, waving her off. 

"I'm at the Mega-Mart on 1960" he barked.  "Hurry up" He hung up and reholstered the cell phone.  He glanced at Jenny, her face full of curiosity and a little fear at his anger.  He put a hand on her arm.

"I'm not mad at you, Jen" She relaxed "I have a vending business.  My guy just got arrested for drugs and worse."  He glanced at her face, open and accepting.  "His mom is bringing the keys to me, here."  He sighed.  "I have to go to work after this and do an accounting.  He could have ripped me off, too.  I have pretty tight cash control but he could have just walked off..." Jenny smiled. 

"I'd like to see where you work, Char."  He relaxed. 

"Is he English?" Charlie cocked his head, baffled.  "Your guy, does he speak English fluently?"  Charlie nodded.  "His mom?"  He nodded again. 

"Let's go get them some Bibles". 

No comments:

Post a Comment