Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chapter 29

Jenny saw Javin coming down the road and waved cheerfully. He picked up his pace and headed towards her yard, dumping his backpack by the door.  He opened the front porch and walked in, gaping at the stacks of Bibles. 

Jenny couldn't believe it.  Every Bible she'd ever wanted, right here in her living room.  She'd continue to pray and see when God wanted the next handout. 

She grinned at Javin's slack jaw as he surveyed the room.  He ran a hand along a case of open, children's Bibles, and she smiled. 

He'd loved the Children's Bible she'd given him a few years ago. She planned to give him a NKJV Study Bible for his birthday in a few weeks.  Pops had given his permission along with a searching look. 

"My husband came back."  Javin knew a little of her situation, she'd had to leave a "bad marriage".  He'd wanted to know if Charlie hit her and she'd said no. 

Javin gaped at her now.  She absently noted his molars were almost in.   He began pelting her with questions and she explained the events of the last few days. 

"He came by to talk, I think. He was really sick, and I took care of him for a few days.  Last night I got fired from the gas station.  He took me to Mega-mart, and gave me the Bibles.  He says he wants to take care of me; and he doesn't want a divorce.  I don't know what he wants." 

She paused.  "He has a really cute black kitten, with one eye."  Javin alerted.  He'd found a sweet brown tabby kitten in the bushes a few months ago.  Jenny and Pops had worked to get her fixed, and she was the queen of the household.  She loved to lie in Pop's lap when he had his dialysis treatment.  "Jasmine would love her, I bet." 

Jenny headed for the kitchen.  "Since Charlie was buying, I got the good stuff.  Would you like a snack?"  She pulled a carton of unsweetened soymilk out of the fridge, and began digging around for sliced meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment