Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chapter 2


Five Years Later
Jenny hummed along with the Jesus metal on her headphones as she strode down the street.  Her backpack bounced gently against her back with every step, sweat trickling between her shoulder blades and pooling at the base of her back.  
She pulled at her cotton-t-shirt, trying to get some air.  It’s a good thing Charlie and I split, she thought, I probably smell like an old goat today.  Ah!  She’d reached her turn.  She turned and sighed with relief as she entered the shade of a large oak tree.  She loved to pause here in the summer.  
A mockingbird flew at her head, squawking.  She grinned, “I won’t hurt your babies, Momma!”, and resumed walking.  She paused as she approached her house.  
The simple, frame house, a soft blue, was surrounded by a chainlink fence, covered in a riot of blooming vines and climbing vegetables.  It wasn’t fancy but it was home.  
She didn’t recognize the fancy SUV currently parked at the base of her driveway, but she knew the man vomiting into her marigolds.  “Charlie?”  
He continued retching as she approached him.  Broad back, strong shoulders.  Thick blonde hair.  Freckles.  Yeah, it was Charlie.  He looked awful, pasty white with dark circles under his eyes, the freckles standing in relief.   He spat one last time and tried to stand up, leaning against his car.  
“Migraine” he croaked.  He covered his eyes, blocking the sun, and winced as he looked at her.  “I’m sorry.”  
Jenny sighed.  He was certainly in no condition to drive.  She hadn’t seen him in years, but she needed to know.  “Brother John said you couldn’t take your medication?”  Her voice was sharp, and bitter.  
Charlie barked a laugh.  “No.”  He debated telling her for a moment, and went with the truth.  “I beat him up.  He said,” He paused, “Some bad things after you left and I lost my temper.”  
He reached out to her, putting his hand on her arm.  “You.  Were.  Right.  I am so sorry I exposed you to that awful man.  If you let me in, I’ll even let you inject my medication.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment